Congratulations on your purchase! If you’ve just bought a project car or an auction car that will need some restoration.
The next step is to get to fixing and this will always require changing auto parts; at the least, oil and air filters for routine servicing.
For auction or project vehicles, it is important to have your vehicle inspected by experts for servicing and replacement of broken car parts, if any that your used auction purchased vehicle might come with especially if it was bought with a salvage title or damages.; and not just auction purchases.
Asides from auction purchase…
You may replace some parts if your vehicle was damaged in a crash or experiencing wear and tear due to overuse.
Now the big question…
What are the best options for sourcing replacement auto parts for your vehicle?
There are different options for you to choose from OEM, Aftermarket, and Used auto parts. choosing any of these options boils down to your budget, availability, or performance of parts.
You may be certain of OEM parts when you take your vehicle to a dealership for repairs and are more likely to get aftermarket or used car parts or even OEM parts from auto repair shops.
Your mechanic will have recommendations on the best option to source parts and oftentimes people prefer this option.
Aftermarket vs OEM vs Used Auto Parts
Aftermarket parts are not made by the original vehicle manufacturer but are made by companies that create parts that meet the vehicle functionality requirements. Production of aftermarket parts are usually in higher volume and are made to fit multiple makes and models.
OEM – Original Equipment parts are auto components that come from the manufacturers of your vehicle’s original parts. OEM parts match the part that comes with your vehicle. They are made to fit their exact specification when rolled off the assembly line.
Used Auto Parts are vehicle parts that are sold after use. Their condition is not guaranteed and can be gotten from a variety of places including online marketplaces and junkyards.
Now let’s delve deeper into the pros and cons of the different auto parts…
Aftermarket Auto Parts
- They may be less priced: Aftermarket parts are less expensive than OEM parts and you can save depending on the brand. You can shop around different auto shops to land the best price that fits your budget.
- Wide range of availability: Aftermarket parts are widely available for purchase. You could walk into a gas station or an auto repair shop for part replacement and you would have access to a variety of aftermarket parts. This gives you a lot more available options to pick from.
- Access to a wide variety of parts: Many companies manufacture aftermarket parts allowing you access to a variety of parts. Think of any auto part for your vehicle, and you will find one in the aftermarket marketplace. You have access to a wide collection of parts that are always available with a wide price range.
- Quality varies and can’t be assured: A lot of aftermarket parts makers don’t go all out to ensure quality as much as the original manufacturers. They may use inferior or low-quality materials to keep costs low. Sometimes the quality of aftermarket parts may be top-notch other times – not so much. If you are going for aftermarket parts you may not be sure of their quality. It’s better to stick to aftermarket brands you are sure of. Or ask your mechanic to recommend brands you can use.
- No warranty: If you’re concerned about being covered by a warranty, you shouldn’t go for aftermarket parts. To keep costs low, many aftermarket manufacturers do not offer a warranty on parts sold.
OEM Auto Parts
- Quality is assured: The quality of OEM parts is assured, don’t have to be stuck wondering about quality. This gives you a sense of peace because you are certain of the quality and performance since it’s made by the original manufacturers. You are also certain that the OEM part will fit your vehicle perfectly without issues and work exactly as its original.
- Comes with a warranty: The OEM part most times come with a warranty of at least a year giving you coverage for your replaced parts.
- More expensive than counterparts: OEM parts are usually more expensive than aftermarket or used car parts. Edmunds reports that OEM parts tend to cost about 60 percent more than aftermarket parts. If you go to a dealership for part replacement, bear in mind that you will part with some chunk of money.
- Availability: OEM parts can be difficult to find on different marketplaces. There is also a limit to availability as the original manufacturers are not into parts manufacturing but into automobiles. Sometimes you may need to order for a part and it may take longer to have your vehicle repaired.
Used Auto Parts
- Could be a good steal of a deal: You could find a used OEM part still in top-notch condition which you could get for a fraction of the original price. Also, used car parts are cheaper than OEM and aftermarket parts. If you want parts at a fraction of the original, you could go for used parts.
- Wide range of variety and availability: You have a wide variety of used parts to choose from. Used parts are widely available. You could land a diamond in the rough if you are willing to dig through a large inventory of used parts.
- Condition not guaranteed: You are not guaranteed the condition of used car parts. There is also the unknown origin, use, and trauma history of the parts – how the previous owner handled the parts is not also known. The quality of the parts is not assured. Parts can develop issues over time.
- Lack of warranty: Used car parts will not be covered by a warranty – if you want warranty coverage, OEM parts are a better option for you.
- 5 Things to do to Restore Your Flooded Vehicle
- What You Need to Know About Hail Damaged Cars for Sale
- Used Car Auctions: 10 Major Damage codes You May Find in Car Listings
- 5 Major Physical Damages to Look out for Before Buying a Used Car from Online Auction
What Auto Parts Is Best For Me?
Now you know all about the different auto parts… then the big question and the reason why you read through this whole blog post…
What auto part is best for you?
The answer depends on your needs… and more importantly what you can afford.
Determining the best car parts for your vehicle boils down to your personal preference. Think of the pricing, quality, availability, performance, or variety. Whatever appeals to you is your best bet.
Some luxury vehicles require top-notch quality with all parts and components. If you are driving a BMW Mercedes-Benz etc, it is safest to avoid compounding issues by going for OEM parts.
Most Asian vehicles are not as sensitive as luxury vehicles, they may be forgiving even if you buy sub-standard car parts. You can afford to lean towards affordability when buying replacement parts for such types of vehicles.
If you are however looking to change your vehicle… You covered!!!
Auto Auction Mall has an inventory of over 200k plus vehicles which is updated every day. If you are on a budget and looking to spend a fraction of the original price – you’ve come to the right place. We give you access to the same vehicles your local dealers source their inventory from.
What are you waiting for?
Sign up now to get started on your purchase!