What is Salvage title? US States Rebuilt Title Rules

Car Rebuilding and Title Rules for Connecticut CT – DMV Title Search

By Mike Richards Updated: 05/22/2019 Posted: 10/28/2015

Vehicles that have a salvage title may not be driven on any roads in Connecticut, and the registration for the vehicle is essentially cancelled and the plates need to be removed from the vehicle. In this situation driver-owner can leave the car on bail to lienholder if you need money. But if he did not return a lien in time you lose your property.

However, it is possible to rebuild the salvaged vehicle, at which point you will need to re-title the vehicle. If the vehicle’s title is salvage parts only or salvage un-repairable, it will never be able to change title. Before it can be provided with a new title though, it needs to pass a salvage inspection. In Connecticut CT DMV title search service can help you to know what title have your vehicle at this moment.

Where Do They Conduct the Salvage Inspections?

There are only two offices in the state that offer salvage inspections. These are the office in Wethersfield, which is open Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 4:40 PM, and the Hamden office, open Tuesday through Friday from 8 AM to 4:30 PM. In order to get an inspection, the vehicle needs to be in the line by 3:15 PM. This applies to both offices.

What Is Required?

The current fee for a salvage inspection is $88, and those who need the inspection for their rebuilt vehicle will need to fill out an inspection form before they arrive at the DMV office. It is important to note that Connecticut does not accept NY State salvage certificates (original or duplicate).

The process also requires a number of documents to be provided by the vehicle’s owner including all receipts for major parts used during the rebuilding process. If the part came from a used vehicle, the receipt needs to include the VIN of that vehicle. Major components and parts include transmissions, frames, doors, trunk lids, quarter panels, rear fenders, cowls, and engines. You will also need to have form K-186 (Salvaged Vehicle Repair Report).

Also, you have to have photos of the repaired and replaced parts of the vehicle. The photographs need to show the entire vehicle from each of the corners, show the damaged areas before repairs and after repairs, before painting, sealing, or rust proofing. They also need to show how the parts were attached, such as through welding.

If the vehicle has an airbag, you will need to fill out an Air Bag Certification Statement (form B-303). In some cases, it may be necessary for some of the parts to be removed for inspection.

You will not be able to tow or drive the salvaged vehicle to the office for inspection. Instead, you need approval to take them on a car carrier or a flatbed truck. The only time the vehicle can be driven is by a dealer or employee of the repair service. They will need to have dealer or repair plates when driving to the DMV. If the vehicle does not pass the inspection, they will need to take the vehicle away on a flatbed trailer.

After the vehicle passes the inspection, it is possible to register the vehicle. You can keep the old plates or get new plates if you choose. You will then receive a new title indicating that the vehicle has been rebuilt.

Find information on Rebuilt Title Laws for Other US States. Explore our Vehicle Auctions and Buying With Us.