What is Salvage title? US States Rebuilt Title Rules

Car Rebuilding and Title Rules for Indiana

By Mike Richards Updated: 07/26/2022 Posted: 10/28/2015

It is often possible to repair salvage vehicles to make them roadworthy again. This is how you can do it in the state of Indiana.


Getting the Salvage Title Indiana

If you have a vehicle that’s been totaled, you will need to have a salvage title applied to it. The insurance company can usually help with this.


The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles requires that you fill out an Application for Certificate of Title (Form 44049), along with a Salvage Title Affidavit.


You also need to include your Certificate of Title, and possibly a Certificate of Gross Retail or Use Tax Exemption (Form ST108E) if applicable. The current cost of a salvage title in Indiana is $4. You can then send the documentation to:

Central Office Title Processing
100 North Senate Ave.
Room N411
Indianapolis, IN 46204.


Repairing the Vehicle

Repairing the vehicle will allow you to apply for a rebuilt vehicle title in Indiana. To do so, you will have to fill out the Application for Certificate of Title (Form 44049) as before, and provide your Salvage Certificate of Title, along with the completed odometer statement – if transferring ownership.


You also need to provide proof of ownership of the major parts used in the reconstruction of the vehicle, such as receipts or bills of sale. You should also complete an Affidavit of Restoration for a Salvage Motor Vehicle (Form 44606).


If the repairs were made using parts that you had on hand, then you will complete a general affidavit (Form 37964). It is important to include information on the year, make, and VIN, and serial numbers if applicable.


Also, you will need to provide proof of your Indiana residency, such as a copy of your driver’s license, a utility bill from the last 60 days, or an ID card, and pay the fee. Currently, the fee for the rebuilt title is $15.


You can then send all of the documentation and the fee to the same address listed above. They will then send you your new title. You can register the vehicle and get it back on the road, provided that you get insurance coverage. The amount of time it will take to get the new title can vary based on the processing times.


Find information on Rebuilt Title Laws for Other US States. Explore our Vehicle Auctions and Buying With Us.