What is Salvage title? US States Rebuilt Title Rules

Car Rebuilding and Title Rules for Kansas

By Mike Richards Updated: 04/14/2020 Posted: 10/28/2015

Those who want to receive a salvage title for a damaged car or truck in Kansas will need to fill out a Salvage, Non-Highway or Non-Repairable Vehicle Affidavit (Form TR-13). You will then have submit the document and the current registration receipt to the county treasurer’s office in your area.

Making Repairs and Getting a New Title

You can make repairs to restore the vehicle and then you can apply for a rebuilt salvage title. Keep in mind that the vehicle will always bear the term salvage, even after rebuilding. Getting a rebuilt title will let you drive on the roads though.

Most vehicles will need to go through an inspection process after they have been rebuilt. Those vehicles that have out of state titles, as well as out of state salvage vehicles being put back to highway status and Kansas non-highway vehicles that are attempting to regain highway status will need to have an inspection.

At the inspection, you will need to have the vehicle’s current title, a valid driver’s license, proof of insurance, and the inspection fee.

Also, you need to make sure that you have all of the receipts for major parts used in the repairs of the vehicle, or at least a photocopy of the title of the vehicle from whence those parts came.

After the rebuild and the inspection, it is then possible to receive a rebuilt salvage title. You will take the inspection document, as well as the proof of insurance and the title to the local county treasurer.

Find information on Rebuilt Title Laws for Other US States. Explore our Vehicle Auctions and Buying With Us.