What is Salvage title? US States Rebuilt Title Rules

Car Rebuilding and Title Rules for Minnesota

By Mike Richards Updated: 07/28/2022 Posted: 10/28/2015

In Minnesota, insurance companies will declare a vehicle a total loss if the cost of rebuilding the vehicle is $705. Or greater than the fair market value of the vehicle, as determined by the insurance company. When the vehicle is a total loss, it will receive a salvage title from the state.

To register the vehicle and drive it again, you will need to rebuild the vehicle and pass an inspection.

Rebuilding the Vehicle

After you or a rebuilder gets the vehicle back into operable shape. You need to go through a Minnesota salvaged vehicle inspection before you can get a new title. The inspection needs to be by a Driver and Vehicle Services Inspection Specialist. You can find contact information for the specialists by calling 651-297-2126, or by visiting the DPS website.

When you schedule the inspection, you need to bring along a number of documents, including the salvage title, a completed Declaration of Reconstruction, and the original receipts for the major parts that you used in the rebuilding process.

The Declaration of Reconstruction requires that you fill out the current license plate number of the vehicle and the current title number. It also has spaces for the major components of the vehicle including the body cab, frame chassis, doors, fender, bumper, quarter panel, front end assembly, rear clip, engine, transmission, hood, and roof.

If any of these parts was replaced, include the part number or VIN of the vehicle they were obtained. As well as the name and contact information of the person or company you bought them from.

Also, you have to detail all of the changes made to the vehicle during the repair.

After going through the inspection process, the Department of Public Safety Drivers and Vehicles Services will determine whether you receive a Prior Salvage title or a Clear Minnesota Title. Not all vehicles will be able to have clear status.

When applying for a clear title, you will need to have your current salvage title, the aforementioned declaration, and the passed salvage inspection report.  Also, the receipts of the parts used in the repair of the vehicle, and pay the $35 inspection fee and $10 filing fee.

If the vehicle is branded prior to salvage, it will always retain the salvage designation on the title. If it is not subject to branding, then it will receive the clear title.

When you receive the new title, with either designation, you will then be able to register it and get it on the road again. Once you get insurance coverage.

Find information on Rebuilt Title Laws for Other US States. Explore our Vehicle Auctions and Buying With Us.