Flash Auctions
Try out our new feature. Be fast. Save Big!

NJ Motor Vehicle Inspection: Rebuilding and Title Rules for Salvage Cars in New Jersey

Date: 10/29/2015 |Category: US States Rebuilt Title Rules

In New Jersey, many different vehicles are designated as special, which means they have varying processes and locations for titling. Among these are vehicles holding salvage titles. Let’s figure out what is a salvage car in New Jersey and what role of NJ motor vehicle inspection in this? What do you need to register a salvage car in NJ?

Salvage Title Cars

Those who need to have a salvage title issued will be able to receive their title through certain Motor Vehicles Commission offices (New Jersey NJ motor vehicle inspection).

To get a salvage title with a stolen stop associated with it, you will need to provide specific documentation to the New Jersey Motor Vehicles Commission. Includes a letter or listing from the insurance company, on their letterhead, that explains that the title is for a vehicle that is an unrecovered theft and that the insurance company requires the salvage title to close the claim.

You also need a letter from the insurance company that explains the type of loss, along with the year, make, model, and serial number of the vehicle, and the owner’s name. It needs to include the actual cash value of the car on the insurance listing sheet, as well as a copy of the police report, the original New Jersey title, and a completed power of attorney in those cases that require it.

Central Office Titles

The central office in Trenton can provide special vehicle titles. These include glider kids, and vehicles that are missing the VIN, as well as vehicles registered to the Military, and reconstructed vehicles. You can learn more about registering a car in NJ and the titles available through the central office by calling their office at 888-486-3339.

New Jersey Application for Salvage Certificate of Title

Those who need to apply for a salvage certificate title will need to complete an Application for Salvage Certificate of Title, and the application needs to include the original certificate of title. The current fees for the salvage title are $60, or $85 if there is a car lien registered

The application requires information about the vehicle as well as personal information. You will need to include the vehicle identification number, the body type, year, make, model, and color. You also need to add the odometer reading.

They also require the owner’s name and address, along with their driver’s license number. If there is a co-owner, the application will need to include their information as well. If there is a lien holder on the vehicle, the applicant will need to add their name, address, and 15-digit corpcode.

The application also includes a section where you will write a statement about the vehicle. This statement should state how you acquired the car, as well as the type of loss suffered, which made it a total loss. The owner, and the co-owner (if applicable), then need to sign and date the bottom of the application before submitting it.

What Steps Do You Need to Take for the Repairs?

You have to make sure you take photographs before and after the repairs. The photos need to be in color and bright, and they cannot cut off any part of the vehicle. You will need to have at least one photograph of the entire front and left side of the car and one photo of the rear and right side of the vehicle. Remember, that you need to have these pictures taken before and after the repairs, so you will need to have at least four quality photos in all.

You also need to have the bill of sale for all of the major components used in the reconstruction of the vehicle. Each of the bills of sale needs to include the name and address of both the buyer and the seller, as well as the date of purchase and the price of the component. When it comes to new parts, you will need to have the bill of sale that includes the description of the part as well as the part number.

For used vehicles, the bills of sale need to have more information, including a full description of the part, the date the part was removed or dismantled, the name and address of the person that removed the part, and the year, make, and model, and the vehicle identification number.

Major parts include the engine, transmission, front and rear bumper, the fenders, hood or engine cover, doors, quarter panels, tailgate, hatchback, decklid, roof, cowl, frame, and apron or shock tower.

New Jersey car Inspection

Owners will then need to fill out a Salvage Inspection Application, and include a check or money order to the New Jersey Motor Vehicles Commission (NJ motor vehicles inspection stations). The fee for inspection of motorcycles is currently $100. The current price for a vehicle inspection is $200. It is nonrefundable and expires after a year. You can submit your application or pay by mail at NJ MVC 225 E. State Street, PO Box 017, Trenton, NJ, 08666-0017.

You can call any inspection site to set up your appointment. These websites listed on the application form. If you are late or have missed your appointment, you will have to reapply for inspection and pay the fee again. Be sure to fax a copy of your salvage title, a copy of the application form, and VINs to the office you will visit.

You have to have all of the following documentation with you at the inspection: NJ salvage title in your name, a copy of the application form, bills of sale, photographs, work order that shows the repairs, VINs for new and used parts list, along with detailed descriptions.

If the vehicle has flood damage, you need to have a damage report from the insurance company. If it is a theft recovery vehicle, you will need to have a theft report from the agency that recovered it.

If they can meet all of the requirements and pass the inspection, it is possible to have the title converted to an operable salvage title. The inspections will generally take about an hour, and the owner is not able to observe the inspection.

Once you complete the process, and the vehicle passes inspection, you can get the new title for the car and start driving it on the roads, provided that you obtain insurance coverage.

Find information and review on Rebuilt Title Laws for Other US States. Find your ideal vehicle in New Jersey Car Auctions and read recommended info on buying a car at an auction.


Download the Salvage Car Title Application

New Jersey Rebuilt Title Law

Auto Auction Specialist Used car expert The largest salvage & insurance vehicle auction marketplace online.
Bid on over 200,000 vehicles for sale right now.

Ready to get started?

Register a free user account and start bidding on your dream car right now!

Sign up for free

Unfortunately we are not in the office right now

Let us call you back during our business hours

Thank you!
We will contact you on:

{{cbTime}}am {{cbWeekday}}


Ok, got it!
We speak your language:
English, Spanish, Portugeese and Russian
< Back
  • User Registration
    • Do I need to register to bid?
    • Do I have to pay to register?
    • What information do I need to provide to register?
    • What are the rules regarding new customers and customers not in good standing?
    • I do not have a dealer license; can I bid or buy a car?
    • Can I just buy one car?
  • Auction Process
    • Do you offer live bidding?
    • What is the difference between, “auction” car, and a “buy now” car?
    • What is a Reserve Price?
    • What does the bid amount include?
    • How does the auction process work?
  • Deposits and Pre-Bidding
    • Is the security deposit refundable?
    • How do international customers make a deposit in their account?
    • How does the security deposit process work?
    • Can I cancel a bid?
    • Can I inspect vehicles prior to auction?
    • Is automatic bidding or pre-bidding available?
    • What is the total bidding amount?
    • What is a bid in active status?
    • What is a bid in pending status?
    • What is the best way to win an auction?
    • How do I search for a car available at auction?
    • How does the auction process work?
  • Post-Auction and Payments
    • What does a customer need to do to get the title to a vehicle?
    • How do I pick up the car I purchased?
    • Are there storage fees if I cannot pick up my vehicle immediately?
    • Do you Issue Temporary Plates?
    • Can I pay in cash?
    • Are there late payment penalties?
    • What are the payment terms?
    • How do I pay for an auction?
    • What if I fail to may a payment as required?
    • When is the balance due on a purchase?
    • When will I be notified of the results of the auction?
    • Bidding has ended. Is my bid the highest?
    • Why did I receive notice after bidding ended that my bid is no longer the highest?
  • Shipping and Delivery
    • How will it be mailed to me?
    • When will I receive the title?
    • Can I have the title mailed to an address/name different from the address/name on my account?
    • I have an agent working on my behalf can this person pick up my vehicle?
    • Do you offer delivery?
    • When can I pick up a car I have won at auction?
  • Understanding Salvage Titles
    • What is NMVTIS and how is it used?
    • Understanding the salvage title/rebuilt title distinction
    • What are the different types of titles a vehicle may have?
    • I received a different type of title than the one in the description. I received an equivalent title from a different state. Why?