New York
What is Salvage title? US States Rebuilt Title Rules

Car Rebuilding and Title Rules for New York

By Mike Richards Updated: 05/22/2019 Posted: 10/29/2015

The Department of Motor Vehicles in New York will brand a title as salvage if the vehicle is eight model years old or newer, and the vehicle was destroyed or the damage repair costs are 75% of more than the retail value of the vehicle.

However, the salvage title does not mean it is the end of the road for the vehicle. It is possible for owners or buyers to reconstruct the vehicle so they can get it on the road again.

Repair the Vehicle

When the vehicle has a salvage title, it means you will not be able to drive it on the roads. You have to repair the vehicle and make sure it is up to the state and federal standards first.

After you repair the vehicle, you will be able to go through an inspection that will make sure that you have documentation for all of the parts used in the repair, and that the vehicle and the parts have not been stolen. When you apply for this inspection, you will need to have a substantial amount of paperwork ready.

This includes the title certificate or the Odometer and Damage Disclosure Form (MV-103), if the title doesn’t have a disclosure statement. You also need to have the sales tax receipt (Form FS-6T), and the Vehicle Registration Title Application (Form MV-82).

Also, fill out the Application for Salvage Vehicle Examination (Form MV-899). The current fee for the exam is $150, and is payable by check to the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. The current title fee is $50.

You will need to send the required documentation and fees to the Auto Theft and Salvage, DFI, PO Box 2105, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY, 12220. They will then set up an appointment for you to bring in the vehicle for the inspection.

After you pass the inspection and they are sure that none of the parts in the vehicle have been stolen, you will be able to get your new title. They provide you with a branded title as a rebuilt salvage. This will be on every title that the vehicle has in the future, and it is impossible to get a clear title after a vehicle has been termed salvage.

Safety and Emissions Inspection

After you get the parts inspection completed, you will still need to pass the safety and emissions inspections before you can register the vehicle. The inspections serve to make sure that the vehicle is able to meet the emission requirements, and that it is actually safe to drive on the road.

Something important to note is that if a vehicle that has a rebuilt salvage title from another state, it will still need to have a DMV inspection and get a new title and registration when it comes to New York.

Find information on Rebuilt Title Laws for Other US States. Explore our Vehicle Auctions and Buying With Us.