Flash Auctions
Try out our new feature. Be fast. Save Big!

Car Rebuilding and Title Rules for Oklahoma

Date: 10/29/2015 |Category: US States Rebuilt Title Rules

In Oklahoma, the insurance companies will declare a total loss and deem a vehicle as salvage when the damage is greater than 60% of the fair market value of the vehicle. At that point, it will receive a salvage title from the state, and you will not be able to drive the vehicle on the roads.

Inspections and Paperwork

Those who have salvage vehicles that they want to get back into roadworthy shape will be able to do so, as long as they follow the processes set forth by the Oklahoma government.

After getting the vehicle rebuilt, it will likely need to undergo a rebuilt vehicle inspection, which has to be conducted by a Motor License Agent before it can receive a new title and get back on the roads. However, if the vehicle is more than ten model years old, it will not need to have an inspection to bring the vehicle out of salvage.

The owner will need to complete a Rebuilt Vehicle Inspection Request (Form 788-B), and then submit it to the Motor License Agent. In some cases, there may be an assigned serial number needed, which the owner can get through the Oklahoma Commission Motor Vehicle Division, Title Section. This number will need to be permanently affixed to the vehicle before you can get an inspection.

After you fill out the application, the Motor License Agent will provide you with the date, time, and location of the inspection. This will occur within ten days of making the request. In many cases, the inspection will take place at the rebuilder’s site. If it does not take place at the rebuilding site, the Motor License Agent will provide an Authorization for Travel and Inspection (Form 788-C). This will allow you to travel to and from the inspection site.

The inspection will compare the vehicle’s VIN number and the number on the documents, and will look for potential fraud or theft. They will make sure that all of the parts used in the vehicle were obtained legally as well. The agents will check the odometer to look for signs of alteration or rollback.

The inspector will also review the salvage title, the receipts for all replacement parts that went into the rebuild. They will also check to ensure the owner has at least liability insurance on the vehicle as a minimum.

Getting Back on the Road

The owner needs to provide the Motor License Agent with the salvage title, receipts for all of the parts used in the vehicle’s repair, and proof of liability insurance. If the vehicle fails the inspection, you will not be able to receive a rebuilt title. When the vehicle does pass the inspection, you can get the rebuilt title and register the vehicle so you can get it back on the road, provided that you get insurance coverage.

Find information on Rebuilt Title Laws for Other US States. Explore our Vehicle Auctions and Buying With Us.

Auto Auction Specialist Used car expert The largest salvage & insurance vehicle auction marketplace online.
Bid on over 200,000 vehicles for sale right now.

Ready to get started?

Register a free user account and start bidding on your dream car right now!

Sign up for free
Request a
We will call you within 1 min
We speak your language:
English, Spanish, Portugeese and Russian
< Back
  • User Registration
    • Do I need to register to bid?
    • Do I have to pay to register?
    • What information do I need to provide to register?
    • What are the rules regarding new customers and customers not in good standing?
    • I do not have a dealer license; can I bid or buy a car?
    • Can I just buy one car?
  • Auction Process
    • Do you offer live bidding?
    • What is the difference between, “auction” car, and a “buy now” car?
    • What is a Reserve Price?
    • What does the bid amount include?
    • How does the auction process work?
  • Deposits and Pre-Bidding
    • Is the security deposit refundable?
    • How do international customers make a deposit in their account?
    • How does the security deposit process work?
    • Can I cancel a bid?
    • Can I inspect vehicles prior to auction?
    • Is automatic bidding or pre-bidding available?
    • What is the total bidding amount?
    • What is a bid in active status?
    • What is a bid in pending status?
    • What is the best way to win an auction?
    • How do I search for a car available at auction?
    • How does the auction process work?
  • Post-Auction and Payments
    • What does a customer need to do to get the title to a vehicle?
    • How do I pick up the car I purchased?
    • Are there storage fees if I cannot pick up my vehicle immediately?
    • Do you Issue Temporary Plates?
    • Can I pay in cash?
    • Are there late payment penalties?
    • What are the payment terms?
    • How do I pay for an auction?
    • What if I fail to may a payment as required?
    • When is the balance due on a purchase?
    • When will I be notified of the results of the auction?
    • Bidding has ended. Is my bid the highest?
    • Why did I receive notice after bidding ended that my bid is no longer the highest?
  • Shipping and Delivery
    • How will it be mailed to me?
    • When will I receive the title?
    • Can I have the title mailed to an address/name different from the address/name on my account?
    • I have an agent working on my behalf can this person pick up my vehicle?
    • Do you offer delivery?
    • When can I pick up a car I have won at auction?
  • Understanding Salvage Titles
    • What is NMVTIS and how is it used?
    • Understanding the salvage title/rebuilt title distinction
    • What are the different types of titles a vehicle may have?
    • I received a different type of title than the one in the description. I received an equivalent title from a different state. Why?