What is Salvage title? How to articles US States Rebuilt Title Rules

Oregon Car Rebuilding Title Rules – How to Register Car in Oregon and Transfer Title

By Mike Richards Updated: 04/07/2020 Posted: 10/29/2015

Vehicles that have been declared as a total loss by the insurance company will need to have their title surrendered to the Oregon DMV within 30 days of the vehicle being declared a total loss. At this point, the owner (driver) is able to apply for a salvage title to drive a car again, or they can get a reconstructed vehicle if they repair and rebuild the vehicle. What is Oregon car title rules and laws? What is Oregon DMV bill of sale and how to register a car in Oregon?

Requirements for a Reconstructed Title

Vehicles in Oregon that have a body that resembles (and primarily is) a particular make, model, and year, and that has not been rebuilt by the manufacturer can qualify for a reconstructed title. Also, the vehicle cannot have been built in a factory where the model, year, and make of the vehicle have been assigned by the factory. It cannot be a replica.

It can renew title if it is a truck that has been rebuilt using a component kit, so long as the kit manufacturer assigns a vehicle identification number to the kid and provides a Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin for it.

The Application Process

To apply for the title, you will need to fill out an application for Title and Registration (form 735-226). You also need to provide your salvage title, and release of interest from prior owners, such as the back of the title, bill of sale or lien release. The vehicle will also need to pass a Department of Environmental Quality emissions test for those in the Portland and Rogue Valley area. To change (transfer) title you also have to use odometer and record real mileage of car.

You have to have the bills of sale for all of the major parts used in reconstruction, as well as proof of insurance. You also need to have a VIN inspection conducted at a DMV office. The current fee for the service is $7.

Then, you can choose your license plates and pay the title, registration, and plate fees to get the vehicle back on the road. Submit the application and all of the documents and fees.

All of the checks and money orders need to be payable to the Oregon DMV. In most cases, you will be able to receive or replace your plates and stickers in the DMV office. The titles will be mailed within three to five weeks after processing the paperwork.

Find information on Rebuilt Title Laws for Other US States. Explore our Vehicle Auctions and Buying With Us.