What is Salvage title? US States Rebuilt Title Rules

Salvage Title PA: Car Rebuilding and Title Rules for Pennsylvania PA

By Mike Richards Updated: 06/06/2022 Posted: 10/29/2015

According to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, a salvage vehicle is inoperable or unable to pass a state safety inspection without the owner needing to spend more on repairs than the fair market value of the vehicle.


When the vehicle has a salvage title, it is not possible to register or drive the vehicle. However, some owners and those who buy salvage vehicles want to get the vehicles into drivable condition. You can begin registration and apply for a new title once this is done.

You need to prove that the vehicle has been repaired properly to get a new title.


Salvage Title PA – Applying for a Rebuilt Title

You will need to submit an Application for Certificate of Title (Form MV-1) unless the title is already in your name. You will also need to include:


You also need to include color photos of the vehicle. The photos should be clear, and they should show the front, back, and sides of the vehicle. Attach all of your bills of sales and receipts to your application, and include a completed Application for Correction of Vehicle Record of Verification of Vehicle Identification Number (Form MV-41) to apply for the vehicle identification number plate. The current fees are $51 for the title and $36 for the registration.


Send all of the paperwork to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Department of Transportation, Bureau of Motor Vehicles, Special Services Unit, PO Box 69007, Harrisburg, PA 17106-9007


You also have to have an inspection conducted by a Pennsylvania Department of Transportation approved station. Make sure you bring all of your paperwork, as the inspector will have to sign off on it. They will be looking for any evidence of a stolen vehicle or stolen parts.


After passing the inspection and having your applications processed, you can receive your rebuilt title and register the vehicle. After completing these steps, you will be able to drive your vehicle. But you must have insurance coverage as well.


The title will be rebuilt, and it will carry over to all subsequent titles associated with the vehicle. This is to cut down on fraud when some owners and dealers would try to sell salvage vehicles without divulging the true history of the vehicle. Since the title will bear the brand, it makes it easier for anyone who buys these cars to know exactly what they are getting.


Find information on Rebuilt Title Laws for Other US States. Explore our Vehicle Auctions and Buying With Us.