Tennessee Capitol
What is Salvage title? US States Rebuilt Title Rules

Car Rebuilding and Title Rules for Tennessee

By Mike Richards Updated: 07/28/2022 Posted: 10/29/2015

Drivers in Tennessee who have a salvage vehicle might want to rebuild the vehicle rather than get rid of it. You can rebuild the vehicle and get it on the road again, but you need to make sure you follow the process closely and fill out all of the applications thoroughly.

Repairing, Applying, and Getting the Inspection

The vehicle will undergo an inspection. When you are getting ready for the inspection, you have to fill out and submit a notarized Application for Motor Vehicle Identification Certification (Form RV-F1315401). The application will require your name, physical address, and mailing address. Also, phone numbers, the year, make, model, and vehicle identification number of the motor vehicle.

You also have to let them know what originally caused the damage to the vehicle, such as collision, fire, freshwater, saltwater, or other. If you choose other, you will need to detail what happened to the vehicle.

You will also need to list the vehicle components used during the construction of the vehicle. This will help to identify the parts replaced. Make sure that you have a receipt that you submit showing the year, make, and identification number of the vehicle from which the part was removed.

Each of the receipts also needs to have the name and mailing address of both the seller and the buyer. If the parts used were new or aftermarket, indicate on the receipt. The application also requires your license number, name, and address, as well as the signature of the rebuilder.

Along with the application, you need to include the salvage certificate and color photos of the vehicle that show each of the quadrants.

These need to be before photos that show the damage to the vehicle. Include the receipts, along with a notarized affidavit of the rebuilder’s name and mailing address if someone other than you rebuilt the vehicle. The current fee for the title conversion is $75. The fee for licensed dealers is $85.50.

You can send the documents to the Tennessee Department of Revenue, Special Investigations Section, Anti-Theft Unit, 44 Vantage Way, Suite 160, Nashville, Tennessee, 37243-8050. If you require more information, you can call (615) 253-7246, where you can leave a voice message. They will return the calls within 48 hours.

If the vehicle is non-repairable and is less than ten years old you have to submit an Application for Tennessee Salvage/Non-Repairable Certificate (Form RV-F1311801) and the salvage certificate to the above address.

After your application is turned in and accepted, you will be able to go through the inspection. The goal of the inspection is to ensure that all of the parts used on the vehicle were obtained legally and that none have been stolen. When you pass your inspection, you will receive the rebuilt title and can register the vehicle.

Be sure you fill out the application properly, and that you include all of the necessary documentation. Failure to do so will result in the application not going through or not being able to pass the inspection. You would then have to go through the process again.

Find information on Rebuilt Title Laws for the Other US States. Explore our Vehicle Auctions and Buying With Us.