What is Salvage title? US States Rebuilt Title Rules

West Virginia Title Application and WV DMV Forms: Car Rebuilding Rules

By Mike Richards Updated: 07/27/2022 Posted: 10/29/2015

In West Virginia WV, vehicles that have suffered damage that have made them a total loss according to the insurance company will be deemed salvage vehicles by the state. However, it is often possible to rebuild these motor vehicles, receive reconstructed title and to get them back on the road. First, you need to make sure the vehicle has a salvage title.


Applying for a Salvage Certificate of Title

Before you can begin the process of rebuilding the vehicle, you need to apply some WV DMV forms for the WB salvage certificate of title by providing the vehicle’s current title, and a completed West Virginia Salvage Title Certificate Application (DMV-SV-1). Also, complete the odometer disclosure information on the back of the title, or on an Odometer Certification form (DMV-TM-1) if it is a non-conforming title.

Any vehicle over ten years old is exempt from the odometer requirement. The current fee for processing the application is $15. If they approve the request, you will receive your salvage certificate of title, and then you can start to reconstruct the vehicle.


Applying for a Reconstructed Certificate of Title

A vehicle cannot be reconstructed or renew if it has been branded as junk or non-repairable. The only time that you can drive a vehicle that has a salvage title, even after repaired, to the inspection is using a one-time permit. The airbags on the vehicle need to be intact or replace according to manufacturer’s specifications.

You will need to take before photographs of the vehicle from the front, rear, and both sides. Keep the photos, along with all of your other documentation for at least three years. During the construction process, make sure you keep all of the receipts for the parts, labor and materials, as you will need to provide these to the DMV during the inspection phase.

If there are any other major components used in the repair that came out of another vehicle. Include the VIN from the vehicle. Major parts include the front clip assembly, grill, fenders, hood, engine, transmission, bumper, rear clip assembly, quarter panels, floor panels and two or more doors.

After the repairs are complete, the vehicle will need to go through the state safety inspection. When it passes, you will receive an inspection decal that is good for 12 months. The officer that does the inspection will complete and certify the Certificate of Inspection (DMV-202-TR) for you. This is only the first inspection though. You also need to have the vehicle inspected by a DMV reconstructed vehicle inspector.

This inspection will require you to schedule an exam at one of the offices listed below. The inspector will need to have all of the before photos you took of the vehicle, as well as the salvage certificate (not duplicate). They will make sure that all of the parts used in repairing the vehicle are legal.

After you pass this inspection, you will need to submit the salvage certificate of title. Along with the original Reconstructed Vehicle Examination form, and the $35 inspection fee to the DMV. Once driver take care of the paperwork, he will be able to receive your rebuilt title. And also, register the vehicle so you can drive it in West Virginia.


Inspection Schedule for Reconstructed Vehicles

There are a number of different locations available around the state for inspections. Days and times that are available are subject to change. You will want to contact the office ahead of time to get the latest information.

Find information on Rebuilt Title Laws for Other US States. Explore our Vehicle Auctions and Buying With Us.