Prices of used cars in Lithuania jumped by almost a fifth on average in the second quarter due to euro adoption, harming the growth of the market. According to the research from auto.plius., the biggest motor advertisement website in Lithuania, the average price of a used car in Lithuania amounted to 3,600 euros (about 3,960 U.S. dollars) in the second quarter, 18.2 percent up from the same period last year. The oldest cars, manufactured 16-20 years ago, saw their prices increasing the most. The average price of these cars rose to 1,300 euros or 36.5 percent from the second quarter of last year.
Cars made 11-15 years ago are the most popular in Lithuania with 33 percent of all deals in the second quarter. Their prices increased by 26.1 percent compared to the second quarter of last year. (1)
Best Selling Cars Blog reports Fiat currently holds a 22.6% market share with VW holding 13.9%, also with Toyota at 11.9% above Nissan (7.2%).
Exporting Cars to Lithuania
- Increase in domestic used car prices due to Euro adoption.
- Older cars, cars made 11-15 years ago are the most popular in Lithuania
- Sales growth may be slowing due to price increases.
Departure Ports Serving Lithuania
- Tacoma, WA
- Long Beach, CA
- Galveston, TX
- Brunswick, GA
- Jacksonville, FL
- Charleston, SC
- Baltimore, MD
- Newport News, VA
- Portsmouth, VA
- Newark, NJ
Container (Shared and Full)
- Long Beach, CA (Shared & Full)
- Houston, TX (Shared & Full)
- Miami, FL (Shared & Full)
- Charleston, SC (Shared & Full)
- Newark, NJ (Shared & Full)
- Oakland, CA (FULL Only)
- Savannah, GA (FULL Only)
Arrival Ports (RORO)
Arrival Ports (Container Ships)
Documentation Requirements for Exporting cars to Lithuania
- An application form, approved by the Protocol Department,
- A document of lawful ownership/use,
- A vehicle registration certificate (original),
- Third party motor insurance,
- Owner’s/user’s identity document or authorization to register a vehicle and Identity Document of an authorized person,
- Also, a copy of the Customs clearance declaration. If a vehicle is brought from outside the EU.
The vehicle shall be physically present at the registration for the inspection. The registration fee also shall be paid at the cash desk of the SE “Registrar” by the price list for the registration of motor vehicles.
Also, Register the vehicle at any branch of the SE “Regitra”.
The address of the SE “Regitra” in Vilnius area:
Lentvario str. 7,
Tel.: (+5) 266 0099
Fax: (+5) 2666 1298
Other Import Procedures
Additional import procedures in Lithuania.
Motor vehicles in Lithuania are also on the list of goods and services. They do not qualify for the refund of VAT, except those specified by the Ministry. If so, the reimbursement of VAT for motor vehicles follows the same procedure as for other goods and services.
Tax exemption for motor vehicles applies to the Missions, accredited and also residing in Lithuania. Also, members of diplomatic staff, administrative and technical staff. Then career consular officers of the consular posts, consular employees, and their family members if they are not Lithuanian citizens or permanent residents of Lithuania. Finally, members of representations of international organizations and their family members enjoy diplomatic privileges and immunities under international law.
Secondly, If a used vehicle is purchased on the local market, all taxes have to be paid. Also, taxes already paid are not refunded.
VAT and excise duties paid on fuel shall be refunded only if special cards issued by the fuel vendor in the name of the Mission and a member of the Mission are used for effecting payment for the fuel.
Import duty and taxes are due when importing goods into Lithuania from outside of the EU. Also, the import duty and taxes payable are calculated on the CIF value. The sum of the value of the imported goods and the cost of shipping and insurance.
- Cars under 7 years + 1600 cc Petrol or 1800 cc Diesel are subjected to 10% duty and also 18% VAT.
- Also, cars over 7 years old and under 1600 cc petrol or 1800 cc diesel are subjected to only 18% VAT.