The market for used cars in the Ukraine have been largely unaffected by the economic instability caused by the political crisis and civil war that country has endured over the last two years. Uncertainty due to the ongoing conflict between pro-Russian insurgents and political turmoil in Kyiv has caused the market for new to plunge over this period with new car sales dropping 70% between 2014 and 2015. Used car sales, on the other hand, have increased nearly four-fold beginning in 2015 as reported by Ukrainian auto trade group UkrAutoprom. (1)
According to the Blog, Best Selling Cars cars avail Nissan, Hyundai, Mazda and BMW represents the most sought after vehicles available at auction in the United States. (2)
- Decline in new car sales has prompted a dramatic increase in used car sales.
- High degree of tension with Russia and inter-regional tensions threatening the integrity of the country
- Consumer prices will once again rise sharply in 2015 (inflation reached nearly 60% already in June), under the effect of a marked increase in gas prices (multiplied by 3.5 for individuals in April 2015) and the continuous depreciation of the hryvnia’s exchange rate. This could impact purchasers willingness to buy big-ticket items in the future. (3)
Departure Ports Serving Ukraine
Container Shipping Departure Ports (Shared and Full Containers)
- Oakland, CA (Shared & Full)
- Long Beach, CA (Shared & Full)
- Houston, TX (Shared & Full)
- Miami, FL (Full)
- Savannah, GA (Full)
- Newark. NJ (Full)
Arrival Ports (RORO)
Ukraine does not have an RORO port. Ports close to Ukraine in other countries may be used instead.
Arrival Ports (Container Ships)
- Title showing ownership of vehicle.
- Bill of Lading/Air Waybill – original
- Ukrainian tax code & registration
- Comprehensive Inventory – in English
- Pro-Forma Invoice – stated Customs value of shipment
- Power of Attorney – notarized, giving authority for Destination Agent to clear shipment
- Vehicles may not be more than five years old.
Other Import Procedures
For additional import procedures see:
Ukraine Vehicle Import Rules
Import Duties and Taxes
Import duty and taxes are due when importing goods into Ukraine by a private individual or commercial entity. These are calculated on the CIF value, i.e. the sum of the value of the imported goods and the cost of shipping and insurance. In addition to duty, imports are subject to Sales Tax, and Excise Duty.
Customs fee of 0.2% of pro forma value charged and may incur duties and taxes of up to 40% of actual value of goods.
Imports into Ukraine are subject to a standard VAT rate of 20%, levied on the sum of the CIF value, duty, and excise duty if applicable. Some goods are subject to a reduced rate of 7%.
Local Customs office and contacts
More information on import declaration procedures and import restrictions can be found on the Ukraine Customs website.