Flash Auctions
Try out our new feature. Be fast. Save Big!

How can you buy and insure a car with a salvage title in North Carolina?

Date: 10/17/2015 |Category: Car Insurance, Salvage Cars

Have you ever considered to buy a salvage car? If you live in North Carolina, you could actually choose to purchase one of these vehicles through an online auction and save yourself even more time and money. This article telling you how to get salvage title insurance and all features of insuring a salvage title car.

How to register a car in NC North Carolina salvage title?

What’s a salvage title mean?

If a vehicle is damaged, such as in an accident, a flood, through hail, or even in a hurricane or other natural disaster, then the first thing an insurance company will do is determine the price to repair the vehicle.

Each state has different rules about when a vehicle can be declared as salvage. In North Carolina, if the insurance company would have to pay 75% or more of the value of the car, then they can declare it as salvage. You may know this as “totaling” the vehicle.

In this situation, the insurance company (insurer) will replace the car completely for the owner. Then, they will take possession of the totaled car and have a salvage title declared on it. Often, if the damage is not so severely extensive, then the cars will be sold at auction. This allows individual buyers and dealers to make purchases for pennies on the dollar.

Like every other state, in North Carolina, if a car has this type of title, then all sellers must declare to the buyer that it has been salvaged. Choosing to conceal this type of information is actually a misdemeanor offense.

Types of Salvage Vehicles

The state of North Carolina has a few different types of salvage vehicle title classifications based on the type of damage it sustained. These classifications include the following:

  • Salvage Rebuilt Title – These are the vehicles that we have already mentioned. They have had repairs made so that they can be properly licensed and insured.
  • Flood Vehicle – Specifically, these are cars that have been salvaged because they had floodwater that had risen above the transmission.
  • Reconstructed Vehicle – This is a title for a vehicle that has been constructed out of separate vehicle parts; sometimes referred to as a “kit car”.
  • Junk Vehicle – This refers to salvage vehicles that have sustained so much damage that they cannot be repaired and are of no resale value at all. They are not titled and are usually sold for scrap parts.

Can a Salvage Car Be Insured?

To legally drive a vehicle in the state, you will need a certain level of insurance. This can be somewhat of a problem with salvage-title vehicles, but it is not impossible to get coverage. How can you insure a car with a salvage title? You just need to know what you have to do in order to make it happen and how registering a car in NC.

You will need to repair the car into good working condition, and the state will need to deem it safe for driving. At that point, you can actually get something called the rebuilt certificate of title. The car will still be listed as salvage, but the rebuilt certificate means you can get insurance and legally drive the vehicle.

To do this, you will need to provide the following when visiting your local DMV in North Carolina:

  • The salvage title on the vehicle.
  • The bill of sale for the vehicle.
  • A check for the title fees.

You may need some other documentation if your vehicle is newer than six years old. In that case, you will need to have an anti-theft inspection. This will be done at the License and Theft Bureau of North Carolina.

Additionally, since you are applying for a rebuilt certificate of title, then you will also have to get a safety inspection also done through the License and Theft Bureau of North Carolina.

This is not one of the common types of inspections you may be used to for safety, emissions, or insurance. Instead, it is designed to determine if a vehicle is roadworthy, and, without it, you cannot get the rebuilt certificate.

Some insurance companies may also require a safety inspection on the vehicle before they offer coverage. There are stations that perform these inspections throughout the state, and you can locate the closest one to you by visiting the North Carolina Department of Transportation website. Will insurance companies insure a salvage title car or not – depends of results of this inspection.

Generally, the safety inspection is used on vehicles older than 35 years old, but it could be a requirement in salvage situations because it will look for problems with headlights, accessory lights, turn signal, parking brakes, the main brake, and the steering controls.

Once you have gone through all of the steps, then you will be able to get insurance on your vehicle. Keep in mind that you may have to shop around for different insurance companies. Some will be willing to provide full coverage, but most will only offer liability even on a rebuilt certificate of title vehicle.

Find information on Rebuilt Title Laws for Other US States. Explore our Vehicle Auctions, Carolina auto mall, as well as finding more information about How These Auctions Work.

Auto Auction Specialist Used car expert The largest salvage & insurance vehicle auction marketplace online.
Bid on over 200,000 vehicles for sale right now.

Ready to get started?

Register a free user account and start bidding on your dream car right now!

Sign up for free

Unfortunately we are not in the office right now

Let us call you back during our business hours

Thank you!
We will contact you on:

{{cbTime}}am {{cbWeekday}}


Ok, got it!
We speak your language:
English, Spanish, Portugeese and Russian
< Back
  • User Registration
    • Do I need to register to bid?
    • Do I have to pay to register?
    • What information do I need to provide to register?
    • What are the rules regarding new customers and customers not in good standing?
    • I do not have a dealer license; can I bid or buy a car?
    • Can I just buy one car?
  • Auction Process
    • Do you offer live bidding?
    • What is the difference between, “auction” car, and a “buy now” car?
    • What is a Reserve Price?
    • What does the bid amount include?
    • How does the auction process work?
  • Deposits and Pre-Bidding
    • Is the security deposit refundable?
    • How do international customers make a deposit in their account?
    • How does the security deposit process work?
    • Can I cancel a bid?
    • Can I inspect vehicles prior to auction?
    • Is automatic bidding or pre-bidding available?
    • What is the total bidding amount?
    • What is a bid in active status?
    • What is a bid in pending status?
    • What is the best way to win an auction?
    • How do I search for a car available at auction?
    • How does the auction process work?
  • Post-Auction and Payments
    • What does a customer need to do to get the title to a vehicle?
    • How do I pick up the car I purchased?
    • Are there storage fees if I cannot pick up my vehicle immediately?
    • Do you Issue Temporary Plates?
    • Can I pay in cash?
    • Are there late payment penalties?
    • What are the payment terms?
    • How do I pay for an auction?
    • What if I fail to may a payment as required?
    • When is the balance due on a purchase?
    • When will I be notified of the results of the auction?
    • Bidding has ended. Is my bid the highest?
    • Why did I receive notice after bidding ended that my bid is no longer the highest?
  • Shipping and Delivery
    • How will it be mailed to me?
    • When will I receive the title?
    • Can I have the title mailed to an address/name different from the address/name on my account?
    • I have an agent working on my behalf can this person pick up my vehicle?
    • Do you offer delivery?
    • When can I pick up a car I have won at auction?
  • Understanding Salvage Titles
    • What is NMVTIS and how is it used?
    • Understanding the salvage title/rebuilt title distinction
    • What are the different types of titles a vehicle may have?
    • I received a different type of title than the one in the description. I received an equivalent title from a different state. Why?